Summer Storm Prep with SERVPRO® of Sangamon County
Stay safe during summer storms!
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County knows that summer storms can be sudden and devastating. The first step to being prepared for a tornado or any other severe storm is to build a Ready Kit with food, water and other supplies to last at least 3 days. A ready kit can include:
- Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Remember SERVPRO® of Sangamon County is ready to help with any size disaster. Call us 24/7 at 217-528-7775.
Flooding is a Real Threat
Be aware of flood conditions in your area!
We at SERVPRO® of Sangamon County would like to take a moment to talk about flooding. Floods are the single most deadly natural disaster in the United States. They are indiscriminate and occur in every state and territory. More dramatic flooding occurs in densely populated areas as construction of buildings, driveways, and roadways create runoff. The water is unable to seep into the ground and as a result can surge through properties without hesitation. Underpasses, underground parking garages and basements can become danger zones very quickly during a flood event.
This does not mean that rural areas are safe from the dangers of flooding. Very intense or prolonged rains in these areas can saturate the soil causing flash floods. Mountains and steep hills can produce heavy rain runoff that can lead to flooding. And embankments along rivers and streams can overflow. Always be sure to keep an eye and ear out for warnings when rains become heavy.
Terms to look out for:
FLASH FLOOD or FLOOD WATCH:
Flash flooding or flooding is possible within the designated watch area - be alert.
FLASH FLOOD or FLOOD WARNING:
Flash flooding or flooding has been reported or is imminent - take necessary precautions at once! Get to higher ground!
URBAN and SMALL STREAM ADVISORY:
Flooding of small streams, streets and low-lying areas, such as railroad underpasses and urban storm drains is occurring.
FLASH FLOOD or FLOOD STATEMENT:
Follow-up information regarding a flash flood/flood event.
If a flood does occur, stay safe! Remember that SERVPRO® of Sangamon County is here to help with the clean up process. Call us at 217-528-7775 24/7.
Firework Safety with SERVPRO® of Sangamon County
Safety starts with YOU!
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County would like to remind you to stay safe over the holiday week. While fireworks can be fun they can also be unpredictable and dangerous. “Fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires per year, including 1,300 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 16,900 outside and other fires. These fires caused an average of three deaths, 40 civilian injuries, and an average of $43 million in direct property damage.” We have to work together to keep our homes and neighborhoods safe. Fire safety starts with each of us. Remember to pay attention to local fireworks ordinances and warnings.
If you happen to experience a fire damage, remember to call SERVPRO® of Sangamon County at 217-528-7775. We are Here to Help®.
Smoke Alarm Safety with SERVPRO® of Sangamon County
Monthly tests take only a few moments.
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County would like to remind everyone to check their smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are an important part of emergency planning and can make a significant difference in reaction time. Placing smoke alarms on ceilings or high on the wall in each level of the home and in every sleeping area will help protect your home and loved ones. In order to ensure the smoke alarms in your home or business are maintained and working appropriately they should be tested once a month by pushing the “test” button. If the alarm is over ten years old, it should be replaced. Small actions now can have a big impact later on.
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County is here to help clean up and repair the damage that can come from business and residential fires. Let us help make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us 24/7 at 217-528-7775.
Let SERVPRO® of Sangamon County Handle that Mess
Call SERVPRO® of Sangamon County!
Did you know SERVPRO® of Sangamon County specializes in black water damage? Black water damage is a water damage situation that can go from bad to worse when you try to clean it up on your own. Especially when the damage comes from a toilet overflow, sewer back up or other black water source as the water can contain harmful bacteria. Black water is water loaded with feces, grease, pharmaceuticals, and/or food chunks. Extended exposure to black water can lead to infections and illness that can become life threatening over time. These types of damages should be left to the local professionals at SERVPRO® of Sangamon County as specialized training and equipment are required to clean away black water and black water damage in order to avoid health consequences.
If you experience a black water damage in your home or office, please call the professionals. SERVPRO® of Sangamon County is here to help 24/7 at 217-528-7775.
Avoid a Moldy Bathroom with Tips from SERVPRO® of Sangamon County
Mold damage is preventable!
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County is ready to help you be proactive in the battle against mold. Did you know that the bathroom is one of the most common indoor areas for mold growth? The lingering moisture created by showers and baths can leave behind mold that can leave you feeling less than clean.
Below are a few simple steps to prevent mold in your bathroom:
- Properly ventilate your bathroom. If you have a fan, make sure it is on or open a window while you shower or take a bath.
- After you are finished, allow the fan to run for at least 30 minutes to allow air to circulate.
- Use mildew-resistant shower and window curtains.
- Wipe down your shower after use to remove any lingering moisture.
- Once a month, wash your shower curtain.
- Remove damp laundry from the floor
- If you notice any leaks, get them repaired ASAP.
If you suspect mold in your bathroom or any other room of your home, call SERVPRO® of Sangamon County at 217-528-7775. We are here to help 24/7.
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County is Ready to Help Your Business During an Emergency!
We are ready to help you get back up and running!
When disaster strikes at your business you need service fast. We at SERVPRO® of Sangamon County know that being closed unexpectedly can effect your business drastically. Customers expect consistency! SERVPRO® of Sangamon County is committed to getting you back to business after a disaster strikes. We are Here To Help®. If your business suffers a disaster even at 2 am, we are here for you. Your call will be answered by a real person and we are able to dispatch crews to you immediately. SERVPRO® of Sangamon County has been helping business owners and managers just like you for over 30 years. We will work with you to make sure your business stays open and your customers are taken care of.
If disaster should ever strike make sure to call us at 217-528-7775.
Let SERVPRO® of Sangamon County Clean Up that Smoke Damage!
One of our crew cleaning smoke damage from a ceiling in a local home.
The dangers of a fire don’t stop once the fire has been put out. Smoke and soot can negatively affect your health. They can both cause respiratory issues such as: shortness of breath, asthma, and bronchitis. Those with weakened immune systems are particularly at risk.
Because soot and smoke damage can be dangerous to your health, it is important to call a professional cleanup crew if you experience a fire in your home or business. The professionals at SERVPRO® of Sangamon County are trained in smoke damage restoration and have the know-how to clean and restore your property safely. Our team has the knowledge and experience to safely and effectively get your home or business back to “Like it never even happened.”
Call SERVPRO® of Sangamon County 24/7, 365 days a year at 217-528-7775.
Appliances Can Cause Water Damage to Your Home or Business
The washing machine on the 1st floor caused damage into the basement!
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County knows that water damages have a variety of causes. One of the more frequent causes are appliances. Here is a list of the most common culprits when it comes to water damage caused by an appliance.
- Washing Machine - The hoses to and from the washing machine can become cracked or loose. If this happens water can start to leak out. Check your machine monthly for hose damage.
- Air Conditioner - The water from the air conditioner can overflow if not drained properly. Check the a/c unit regularly to ensure that water is not leaking out.
- Hot Water Heater - It is recommended that you replace your water heater every ten years as corrosion and sediment build up can cause the lines to burst. Getting a yearly inspection on your water heater will greatly reduce the risk of water damage.
- Dishwashers - Pay attention to the hoses and valves on your dishwasher. They can become blocked or overwhelmed with sediment or detergent.
If an appliance water damage does occur, call your local water damage technicians at SERVPRO® of Sangamon County at 217-528-7775.
Clogged Gutters Can Lead to Water Damage
There isn't just one type of gutter clog!
SERVPRO® of Sangamon County would like to remind everyone that being proactive is the best way to prevent damage. And even though it is one of the more time consuming chores, keeping the gutters around your home in good shape can greatly reduce the chances of a water damage disaster.
- Clogged gutters can result in basement flooding, roof damage, erosion and foundation damage. Regularly check and clear the gutter system around your home to ensure there are no problems.
- Fixing loose gutters can also mitigate damage. Loose gutters will allow water to flow along the roof which can affect siding, doors, windows and foundation.
- Splash blocks are important as they direct the water away from the home. Without a splash block the water can build up around the foundation of the home and cause flooding and mildew.
Hopefully, by checking out the gutter system in your home you will be able to stop disaster before it begins. But if, by chance, something does happen, SERVPRO® of Sangamon County water damage technicians are here to help 24/7. Call us at 217-528-7775